Blank - Chapter 7

by Kenpachi Masamune

Author's Note: Seventh post for the seventh day of writing. A pause in Serena's story for a return to the current time and setting. If you liked chapters 4-6 and the background bit, don't worry. It will be back shortly. For now. A bit of seriousness in this piece. Enjoy.

============

Chapter Seven – A Child's Kiss

“Merciful, that doesn't sound like you...” Sevil laughed and stared into Serena's eyes, searching for that flinch and glimmer of a lie.

“It is not like I had much of a choice. Otherwise, you would be correct.”

Sevil rocked back on the hind legs of his chair, “Any ideas on how the flames did not touch you, despite being consumed in a fireball?”

Serena nodded her head once and let out a shrug, “I am not entirely sure myself, but the candle could easily have been explained enough. Brother Povek might have switched the candles to kill me as I completed the ritual to end my service, if not for the fact it would have to be switched before I entered the church. He never had the opportunity.”

“I see. Is he a good man now?”

“Now he is, but I only fou-”

A knock came from the front door and Serena said immediately, “Come in, Jaek.”

The door opened and closed quietly, the deep, but weak voice of a man called out to her, “Serena, I've returned.” Sevil turned around to get a look at him as he entered the kitchen. The man was not as he had expected, a cleanly shaved face and built tough, it was not the body of a revered priest or any kind of man he had seen before.

The man, clearly Brother Povek, wearing silver knight's armor dropped to one knee in front of the two Sages and lowered his head, “The message has arrived. Father Mivek and Zevish send their regards.”

Serena folded her hands together and smirked at Sevil, “How do you think he turned out?”

“I was not aware you had company, but it seems he is dependable,” Sevil turned back to Serena, “He is no Father and you are no Sage. As much as I liked your story thus far, it does not explain why I am in the presence of two warriors.”

“Crusaders.” corrected Serena, a twisted smile spreading across her face, “We are Crusaders of Clair. C.C. The distinguished raiders and elite knights under his majesty.”

“Murderers and killers, no different then Zar's own expeditionary forces. Spare me the speech, I know what you want and the answer is no,” Sevil shook his head disdainfully, “I thought you had returned to me, not for me-”

“No, I wanted you to be ready this time, but truly I wanted to see you once my spirit yearned for peace. We've grown so distant, but all I see is your face at night. Your loneliness, and my faults. I've grown, Sevil, but I am still chasing after you.”

Sevil stood up and slipped past Jaek, knowing he was an observer in their conversation. Making his way to the door, Serena urged him up and as Sevil pushed the door open, the sound of a sword unsheathing filled the quiet house.

“Clair needs us. The people need us. We hav-”

“The first words you should have said was 'I need you'. I damn your king, land and people, they are nothing to me. You are not my Val-”

“Don't say it! Don't say it! DON'T SAY IT!” cried Serena in pain, pointing the sword at Sevil with a trembling hand. Her cries drowning out his words with her own voice.

Sevil pushed open the door and walked out into the dark moonless sky, within moments Serena was at his back, the sword reached around his back and pressed against his neck. Serena breathing heavily into his ear, whispering softly, “You're right. I need you. This body cannot give you what you want, it never will. If you desire me at all, come with me. If you don't...I'll....kill you.”

Sevil laughed and raised his hand and behind his head, running his soft little fingers through her fine hair, “That's the Serena I know.”

The blade pressed in slowly as Serena whispered in English, “I fucked up our lives. We can never return home and I've robbed you of your life, but I...”

Pulling the sword away from Sevil's neck, Serena sheathed it and wrapped her arms around him, “Please forgive me.”

“I love you too,” Sevil said in English as he turned around to face her tear-filled eyes plant a soft kiss on her forehead. Wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her close to him.

“Excuse me, but could we save the romance for after the marriage.” Jaek boldly said while staring down at the ground.

The two looked away from each other with a soft smirk, Serena quickly composing herself out of habit and switching back to Laishe, “Jaek, what have I said about speaking to me like that. That costs you a meal.”

“I can feel the rain coming, we should get inside again.” mumbled Sevil.

“First give me your answer, will you come with me?”

“Of course, I've followed you through worse,” Sevil laughed, “Though I still think the only thing you understand is a taste of your own medicine, how did I do?”

“Terrible. Storming off in anger doesn't work when you are still the weaker.” Serena lectured with her hand and index finger pointed up lazily in the air, “Oh and Jaek, we are already married. So for your ignorance, I'm costing you another meal.”

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster